Cheverus Community Speaker Series
We are pleased to welcome Fr. Greg Boyle to Cheverus!
Father Boyle is the founder and executive director of Homeboy Industries, the largest gang intervention, rehabilitation and re-entry program in the United States, now in its 32nd year. His dedication to finding a place for all in our society brought him to the Boyle Heights community of East Los Angeles, where he served as pastor of Dolores Mission Church, from 1986 through 1992. It was there that Father Greg started what would become Homeboy Industries, a nonprofit organization that employs and trains more than 300 former gang members every year in several social enterprises. Homeboy Industries also provides critical services to the 12,000 people who walk through the doors every year seeking a better life. Father Greg is the author of the NY Times bestselling book, "Tattoos on the Heart, The Power of Boundless Compassion."
To learn more about Fr. Greg and Homeboy Industries, click here.
- When: May 18, 2020, 6:00 p.m.
- Keegan Gymnasium, Cheverus High School, 267 Ocean Ave., Portland, ME 04103
- A reception with coffee, tea and sweets will follow the speaking portion of the event
- This event is open to the public and free to attend, but we will be accepting donations for Homeboy Industries
- To allow us to best prepare for the event, we ask that if you plan to attend, please register in advance using the form below
Among the most important objectives of Cheverus' Second Century Vision are the stewardship, nurturing, and strengthening of the entire Cheverus community --- including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, Jesuits, business partners, and friends in the Greater Portland area. The goal of the Community Speaker Series is to engage with this extended family while exposing our students to opportunities outside Cheverus. It is our hope that each of our speakers will help foster intellectual, spiritual, physical and personal excellence for our students and guests.