2018 Art Show Winners
Last week, the first floor of Loyola Hall was filled beautiful student artwork displayed for the Annual Cheverus Art Show. L. Guo ’20 was recognized with top honors for his 3D multimedia artwork. Guo has his eyes set on attending Rhode Island School of Design for college. Classmate D. Niedermeyer, ’20 placed second with her decorated mask. Other winners include: 3rd place – J. Jiang ’18; Students Choice – E. Gallant ’20; Stained Glass – E. Poulin ’18. Congratulations!
Getting in the Christmas Spirit: Winter Concert (Monday) -- Advent Mass (Friday)
The Cheverus community gathered Thursday, December 8, to celebrate a special Feast of the Immaculate Conception Mass with Fr. George E. Collins, S.J., as presider and reflections offered by Mr. James Ferus, S.J. Many students participated in the Mass as greeters, lectors, musicians, presenters of gifts, and as eucharistic ministers. See the full photo gallery on Facebook.
- Bishop Deeley will join the Cheverus community to celebrate our Advent Mass on Friday, December 16. All parents and friends are welcome to attend. The Mass is followed by a Christmas reception to provide students and guests the opportunity to socialize with Bishop Deeley. Campus Ministry, in partnership with the Cheverus Families Association, is calling for help to make this event special Your donations of baked goods and/or volunteer support the day of the event is greatly appreciated. Kindly sign-up here -- thank you for your support.
- The Winter Concert is Monday, December 7 at 7:00 p.m. in the Keegan Gym. Come here some great music -- including some holiday favorites!
- Swimming & Diving Alumni Meet: Come ready to swim or hang out on the pool deck on Friday, December 23, from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. at the YMCA. Reconnect with your old teammates and get back in the pool to take on this year's team. FMI contact CHSAlumni@cheverus.org.
- Purple & Gold Activity Passes are still available! Passes are now $60 (price reduction after fall season) and allow admission for up to four people to all Cheverus sporting and drama events through the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year. Buy your P&G pass at any atheletic or drama event charging admission or by emailing Mary Penk.
- The Key Club is joining other clubs in Maine to collect everyday items to help the homeless youth served by the Preble Street Teen Center. Learn more about the project and find out what items are needed. Please bring donations to the Main Office through Friday, Dec. 16.
- What if we have a snow day?
- There are still a few unclaimed tickets for the special viewing of Rogue One this Thursday, December 15, 7:00 p.m. at Westbrook Cinemagic. Tickets are $15.50 each. Please contact the Cheverus Families Association at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your tickets.
- Winter Sports season is under way. Check the Athletics & Activities Calendar for all games and events.
- Parent ads for the yearbook are due by December 16. Download the flyer for sizes and prices.
- Cheverus is partnering with Sunday River to offer a four-week ski and snowboard program in Jan./Feb. 2017. This program is open to all Cheverus Students, Parents, Faculty & Staff. Click here for dates, prices and info on the "Try It Before You Buy" Preview on Dec. 10.
Athletic Hall of Fame
The week ahead:
Monday, December 12
Purple & Gold Meeting
5:30 p.m. -- Board
6:30 p.m. -- General Meeting
7:00 p.m., Keegan Gym
Tuesday, December 13
Winter Concert X-Order
9:10 a.m., Keegan Gym
Thursday, December 15
Campus Store Sale
10% off all in-stock items
Kairos Candlelight Mass & Reunion
6:30 p.m., Loyola Parlor
Mass in the Loyola Chapel followed by potluck dinner in the parlor.
Star Wars -- Rogue One
7:00 p.m., Cinemagic Westbrook
Friday, December 16
Advent Mass with Bishop Deeley
9:10 a.m., Keegan Gym
Reception in the cafeteria following Mass
College Advising News
Parents of Seniors: file FAFSA and list each school to which your student applied or is considering applying. Check each college's financial aid page to see if there are other required forms, and to see deadlines. Typically, the admission application deadline is also the financial aid application deadline.
Parents of Juniors: On December 8, you should have received an email inviting you to sign up for a January family meeting with college advising. If not, contact Ms. Coddaire.
All Parents: consider something academic-related this summer for your student. It can make them a more competitive college applicant! Classes, volunteering and internships are listed here.