Important Dates for 2017-2018
Mark Your Calendar: Important Dates for 2017-2018
- *Freshmen Orientation: August 23 & 24, 2017
- **Class Meetings: August 30, 2017
- First Day of Classes: August 31, 2017
- Mass of the Holy Spirit: September 14, 2017 at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland
- Back-to-School Night for Parents, 9-12: September 20, 2017
- PSAT/Pre-ACTs/Freshmen Retreat: October 11, 2017
- Freshmen Service Day: October 12, 2017
- All Saints Day/Grandparents Day: November 1, 2017
- Parent/Teacher Conferences: November 20 & 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Break: November 22-24, 2017
- Christmas Break: December 21, 2017 - January 2, 2018
- Mid-Year Exams: January 16-19, 2018
- Winter Vacation: February 19-23, 2018
- Spring Vacation: April 16-20, 2018
- 100th Anniversary Celebration: May 4-6, 2018
- Graduation: June 4, 2018
- Final Exams, Grades 9-11: June 4-8, 2018
Please note: this is not a complete list of Cheverus events and vacation days for next year. Please consult the Cheverus School calendar for the most up-to-date information. That calendar will be updated as events are planned.
* Freshmen attendance is required
** Student attendance is required.
In Other News:
- Fr. George E. Collins, SJ, announced that he will step down as Cheverus president at the end of this school year to return to pastoral ministry. The Board of Trustees has named Fr. Robert Pecoraro, SJ, as interim president for the 2017-2018 school year. Read the full announcement here.
- Enrollment contracts for students returning for the the 2017-2018 school year are available via ParentsWeb. The online re-enrollment contract -- including the $750 non-refundable holding fee -- should be completed by March 1, 2017. Read the full announcement here.
- Mark your calendars: Cheverus will observe the Bishop's Holiday on Monday, March 13: there will be no school on Monday, March 13. Thank you Bishop Deeley!
- Good Shepherd food drive update: Cheverus is currently in the lead with funds raised by a small margin with Fryeburg Academy a close second. Let's work together to demonstrate our commitment to serving as people for others by helping fight hunger in Maine. Every $1 we raise provides 4 meals for a Maine family in need -- Donate here.
- Still a few spots left for Baby Ads in the Yearbook. First-come, first-served. Contact Ms. Aromando by this Friday, January 27.
Thank you to following community members who pitched in to support the wrestling tournament hosted at Cheverus this past week:
- Julie Walsh,
- Lourdes Benito
- Dennis Caron
- Carolyn Mitchell
- Jackie Lindstedt
- Melissa Haley
- Jena Breece
- Brenda Barriault
- Beth Hanley
- Jim King
- Tammy Thomas
- Jill Laflamme
- Laura Rodrigues
- Emily Powers
- Deb Young
- Cindy McSorley
- Mary Penk
- Ruth Summers
- Kelly Shimansky
- Lourdes Nason
The week ahead:
Monday, January 23
Cheverus Families Association
6:00 p.m., Sparta Room
All parents are welcome to attend and help plan activities for Spirit Week. Re-scheduled from January 19.
Tuesday, January 24
MMEA District 2 Jazz Honors Auditions
2:00 - 8:00 p.m., Loyola Parlor & Magis Center
College Advising News
Summer programs often have winter deadlines! Consider an academic focus for part of your student's summer. Maine Medical Center's Junior Volunteer summer application opens on Jan. 19 and closes just a few days later. Visit this link for more info.
Parents of Juniors: Have you booked your family meeting yet? New dates added, so see what fits your schedule.
All juniors and their parents should have received an email on Wednesday with instructions to register for standardized tests (ACT and SAT).