Getting Ready for Back-to-School
Dear Cheverus Students and Parents,
I hope this letter finds you out enjoying a beautiful summer day and not inside reading email. Though it hasn’t quite been a month since we moved here, my family and I already feel very much at home and are exploring all the wonderful sights and tastes of Portland. Even during these quiet summer months I’ve been able to speak with dozens of members of the community, and in every conversation people have stressed what a wonderful place Cheverus is and what great students we have, and I also heard repeatedly about the gifts and talents of our faculty, staff and administration.
Following these conversations we have decided to make a change in our administrative structure for the coming academic year. I’m pleased to announce that Mr. Dan Costigan has accepted the position of “Dean of Students” and will serve as a member of our administrative team. In short, the Dean of Students helps formulate rules of conduct for students and assists students and teachers in the observance of these rules. As an alumnus, teacher, coach and parent of a Cheverus student, he has seen our school from many angles, and we think his perspective will serve us well. Mr. Rodger Cilley will teach freshmen English this year, and we want to thank him for his years of dedication and service as our Assistant Principal for Student Life.
A few other notes before you head back out to enjoy some summer fun:
- Our Freshmen Orientation and Experience will take place both on campus and at Camp O-AT-KA on Monday, August 29, and Tuesday, August 30. Parents of incoming freshmen can click here for more details.
- As we have done in the past, we will use a modified schedule for the first day of classes on Tuesday, September 6. Freshman should arrive by 7:45 a.m. and grades 10-12 should arrive by 8:45 a.m. Also to ease our transition into the school year we will use an “A” day schedule on both Tuesday, September 6, andWednesday, September 7, and then we will begin to rotate classes with a “C” day on Thursday, September 8.
- Mark your calendar for our Parent Nights: parents of juniors and seniors will meet on Tuesday, September 13, at 6:30 p.m. and parents of freshmen and sophomores will meet on Wednesday, September 21, at 6:30 p.m.
- Land's End is offering 30% off orders of dress code styles beginning today through Monday, August 8. Use the promo code KIDS with the PIN 4495 at checkout. See CHS News for more information or go to the Cheverus Store at Land's End.
- Fall Sports Pre-season begins Monday, August 15. Please visit our Athletics webpage and select individual sports for pre-season details and schedules.
- Classbook.com is offering free shipping from August 22-28 and a 10% off flash sale on used and rental books from August 22-25. See CHS News for information about book returns/rentals and how to access your course list for next year.
- And finally, a “Save the Date” reminder: editor at large of America magazine andNew York Times bestselling author Fr. James Martin, S.J. will be with us onMonday, October 17, to speak at Cheverus. Click here for the announcement from Our Lady of Hope Parish.
Okay, that’s plenty of information for the beginning of August! I’m already looking forward to students returning and the start of a great year on Ocean Avenue!
Dr. John Moran