In support of our mission to educate the whole person of our students -- mind, body and spirit -- our parent organization, the Cheverus Families Association, is hosting two free educational events this month to support parents. Some teachers will offer extra credit for students for participation in these two special events.
What Does Legalizing Recreational Marijuana Look Like?
The Cheverus High School Families Association will host a free presentation on the topic of preventing youth substance use, open to all families, with expert panelists from the Casco Bay CAN -- a coalition of providers who work to reinforce the positive messages adults can give about avoiding alcohol, marijuana and other drugs to youth. Lt. John Kilbride from the Falmouth police department, an expert on this topic, will also present information from the law enforcement community. FMI: www.cascobaycan.org
What Does Legalizing Recreational Marijuana Look Like? - a presentation for families regarding real concerns with marijuana and the issues around legalization.
Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Holy Martyrs Church, Parish Hall
266 Foreside Road
Falmouth, ME 04105
Please note: during Lent there is a 5:30 p.m. daily Mass, just prior to the presentation, at Holy Martyrs Church that families are welcome to attend.
The Cheverus Families Association will host a free screening of the documentary Screenagers for all families, staff and students.
Thursday, March 23, 6:30 p.m.
In Screenagers, physician and filmmaker Ruston Delaney takes a deeply personal approach as she probes into the vulnerable corners of family life, including her own, to explore struggles over social media, video games, academics and internet addiction. Through poignant, and unexpectedly funny stories, along with surprising insights from authors, psychologists, and brain scientists, Screenagers reveals how tech time impacts kids’ development and offers solutions on how adults can empower kids to best navigate the digital world and find balance.
View the trailer below:
From a galaxy far, far away: an invitation to be among the first Star Wars fans to see Rogue One in which Rebellion makes a risky move to steal the plans to the Death Star.
The Cheverus Families Association is pleased to offer a special red carpet premier of the movie on December 15 -- the day before the release to public.
- What: Cheverus Red Carpet Event – Star Wars Rogue One
- When: Thursday, December 15. Theater opens at 6:45 pm; movie starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Cinemagic Movie Theater, 183 County Rd, Westbrook, ME 04092
- Price: $15.50 per ticket
- How to reserve a ticket: Beginning at 2:45 p.m. on Monday, November 28, you can reserve tickets on a first-come/first-served basis via this form.
- Limit: 2 tickets per sign-up/participant.
- Picking up your tickets: you can pick up reserved tickets, Monday, December 5, from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in the Atrium. If tickets not picked up by 1:00 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 5, will go to the next person on the waiting list.
Last year this event sold-out within minutes -- and it was a very fun evening for the entire Cheverus community.
Please come back Monday, November 28, at 2:45 p.m. to reserve your tickets.
Register for Parent-Teacher Conferences, Nov. 21-22
Please join us for our upcoming Parent-Teacher Conferences on Monday, November 21, and Tuesday, November 22; see below for instructions on how to sign-up for meetings with your child's teachers.
- Be mindful that these meetings are intended to be brief check-ins (five minutes or less) and are not appropriate forums for more detailed or personal conversations that require more time. If necessary, we would encourage you to schedule such meetings for another time.
- You do not need to feel obligated to sign-up to see all of your child's teachers; these days are designed to allow you the flexibility to sign-up to see just one or two teachers if you prefer.
- If you are signing up to see most or all of your child's teachers, we would encourage you to allow for some travel time and possible delays between meetings.
- Also note that our busiest sign-up times are typically between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Monday night.
Resources for signing up for parent-teacher conferences:
PTC Wizard -- Online Registration Site
- Instructions for Registering
If you need to change your schedule, you may reenter the system and make changes anytime up until 8:00 a.m. on November 21.
If you encounter any problems with this online conference scheduling system, please call Sue Sullivan at 774-6238 ext. 162 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you at these upcoming parent teacher conferences.
Help CFA Organize Faculty Dinner
It is a tradition that the Cheverus Families Association organizes a simple dinner for all the teachers to help sustain them on the first day of conferences, Monday, November 21. (This kind gesture is always greatly appreciated by the faculty!) The CFA has created an online sign-up form for items for donation.
Items requiring refrigeration can be dropped off to Loyola Hall between 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. on November 21 (as parents arrive on campus for conferences.) Non-perishable items can be delivered to Loyola on that day or in advance. The CFA thanks you so much for your support.
- Report Cards for Quarter 1 were emailed on Friday, November 4. Please contact Lisa Merrill if you did not receive an email with a link to the report card. These links are active for two weeks so please print or save a copy for your records. Please direct any questions regarding grades to the individual teacher.
- Congratulations to Cicy Po for being named the 2016 New England Environmental Educators Alliance (NEEEA) Formal Educator of the Year! The NEEEA Awards Committee was impressed with the Ignatian Carbon Challenge Ms. Po helped develop to create change not only at Cheverus but to encourage other schools around the country and other parts of the world to participate. The Committee commended Ms. Po for “helping to inspire and train the next generation of scientists and environmental leaders.” Thanks as well to Helene Adams for assisting with the nomination process.
Thank you to all the wonderful grandparents and special seniors who joined us at our school-wide All Saint’s Day Mass and Grandparents’ Day this past Tuesday, November 1. The photos will be available for you to download/purchase within the next week and Institutional Advancement will send those via email to all the grandparents and parents. We look forward to seeing all the grandparents again next year for this cherished Cheverus tradition.
(click on the photo above for a gallery of photos from Grandparents Day)
We would also like to thank the amazing Cheverus Families Association parent volunteers who took the time out of their day to help with the event and who made all our guests at Cheverus feel welcome: Michelle Dyer, Annie Bossong, Bethany Wilson, Bethany Cunningham, Cristina LaPoint-Smalley, Jill McCarthy, Ruby Anastacio, Jennifer Brooks, Mori LeFevre, Joy Conant, Cindy Jacobs, Patricia Meserve, Donna Guenther, Tami Hussey, Colleen Haley-Reed, Ellen Pirone, Lori Carter, and Lourdes Nason.
- Read Bishop Deeley's statement about Question 1.
- Yearbook Reminders: Parent ads are due by December 16. Download the flyer for sizes and prices.
The week ahead:
- Monday-Friday: Drop Off Turkeys between 7:00-8:00 a.m. Help Cheverus feed 500 families this Thanksgiving.
- Tuesday, November 8: Fall Jazz Concert, 7:00 p.m., Keegan Gym
- Tuesday, November 8 -Friday, November 11: Kairos
- Wednesday, November 9: Cheverus 101, 5:00 p.m. Learn more and register here.
- Thursday, November 10: Cultural Breakfast, 7:00 a.m., Loyola Parlor. Learn about opportunities to study abroad. Sponsored by the Spanish and French Clubs.
- Friday, November 11: Veterans Day, No School
Campus Ministry Says "Thank You"The Office of Campus Ministry would like to thank all the families who donated items for the Freshmen Retreat as well as donated their time to assist in the two-day event. Your generosity helped to make the Freshmen Retreat meaningful and the Community Service Day successful.
Thank you for your generous support and for modeling for our students what it means to be "People with and for others."
Job Opening: Part-time Bus Driver
Valid Maine bus operator`s license. Clean driving record and enjoy working with kids. Maine Dept. of Ed. Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) Approval is required.
Assigned to after school activities, field trips, co-curricular and sporting events on an as needed basis.
For more detailed information, please contact Marie Cross 207-774-6238 ext. 141.
College Advising News:
Junior & Senior parents: the final two weeks of college visit season are upon us. Here's the calendar of college reps visiting Cheverus. Encourage your student to attend. Contact Ms. Coddaire for more info.
Senior parents: need help filing the FAFSA? FAME runs free help sessions around the state in early November. If your senior applied to college, it's time to file for financial aid. Check each college's financial aid page to see deadlines, and determine if other forms are required. Contact Ms. Coddaire for more info.
An academic enrichment experience over the summer might be right for your student -- check out this list of world wide opportunities.
Seeking Vendors for Dec. 3 FairThe hockey boosters are currently seeking vendors to sell crafts or offer activities (for example, a table where children can decorate an ornament to offer as a gift) for the Holiday Craft Fair on December 3.
Cost is $25/per six-foot space for outside vendors; there is no cost for Cheverus clubs or activities to reserve a table.
Please download the Vendor reservation form or the Cheverus Club reservation form. Completed forms and payment must be received by November 18.
Contact Mary Cahill (email@example.com) with any questions.