Drop Off Turkeys: 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.
The Key Club will deliver 500 Thanksgiving baskets to families this Friday. We appreciate all the help from the Cheverus community in this annual drive to help 500 families enjoy a full Thanksgiving meal.
- Steve Huntington, varsity coach of the Cheverus Lady Stags Basketball Program, is offering three girls basketball clinics this season:
Saturday, November 26, 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 10, noon - 1:30 p.m.
Saturday, January 7, noon - 1:30 p.m.
The clinics are free and open to all girls currently in the 3rd through the 8th grade. Coach Huntington, his coaching staff and the varsity girls will be providing fundamental basketball instruction. This is great way for the girls to develop their skills, learn new skills in an encouraging atmosphere promoting positive values. Girls are welcome to attend one clinic or all three. Please come join us for these exciting opportunities!
If you are interested, please contact Coach Huntington at email@example.com to reserve your spot!
- Don't forget to register for Parent-Teacher Conferences on Monday, November 21, and Tuesday, November 22; see below for instructions on how to sign-up for meetings with your child's teachers.
List of teachers and conference rooms
PTC Wizard -- Online Registration Site
Instructions for Registering
- Help CFA Organize Faculty Dinner
It is a tradition that the Cheverus Families Association organizes a simple dinner for all the teachers to help sustain them on the first day of conferences, Monday, November 21. (This kind gesture is always greatly appreciated by the faculty!) The CFA has created an online sign-up form for items for donation.
Items requiring refrigeration can be dropped off to Loyola Hall between 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. on November 21 (as parents arrive on campus for conferences.) Non-perishable items can be delivered to Loyola on that day or in advance. The CFA thanks you so much for your support.
- View all the family portraits from Grandparents Day (the gallery password is Cheverus). Thanks to our photographers, Kassi Getchell and Lourdes Nason, and to Cori Cushing for setting up the photo area. These photos may be downloaded or purchased as prints.
- The hockey boosters are currently seeking vendors to sell crafts or offer activities (for example, a table where children can decorate an ornament to offer as a gift) for the Holiday Craft Fair on December 3. Cost is $25/per six-foot space for outside vendors; there is no cost for Cheverus clubs or activities to reserve a table.
Please download the Vendor reservation form or the Cheverus Club reservation form. Completed forms and payment must be received by November 18. Contact Mary Cahill (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Job Opening: Part-time Bus Driver. Qualifications: Valid Maine bus operator`s license. Clean driving record and enjoy working with kids. Maine Dept. of Ed. Criminal History Records Check (CHRC) Approval is required. Description: Assigned to after school activities, field trips, co-curricular and sporting events on an as needed basis. For more detailed information, please contact Marie Cross 207-774-6238 ext. 141.
The Pies Are Coming!
If you ordered pies they will be arriving on Wednesday, November 16.
Pickup will be in the Cheverus Atrium after 2:30 p.m. -- all pies must be picked by 5:00 p.m.
The product arrives frozen and we do not have space to store any pies that are not picked up on Wednesday.
Thank you for supporting the Freshman & Senior classes!
The week ahead:
Monday, November 14
Purple & Gold Meeting
6:00 p.m., Loyola Parlor
Tuesday, November 15
Thursday, November 17
Kairos Alumni Dinner & Candlelight Mass
6:30 p.m., Mass
7:30 p.m., Dinner
Cheverus Families Association Meeting
6:30 p.m., Sparta Room
Friday, November 18
Thanksgiving Interfaith Service
9:10 a.m., Keegan Gym
Saturday, November 19
Super Scholarship Saturday for Seniors
We'll search for and apply for scholarships. We'll review this PDF in Tuesday's College Advising class if you'd like a sneak peek.
We Want Your Opinion
Since last spring, the faculty and administration of Cheverus have been discussing our daily class schedule. This past Wednesday, we surveyed the student body during homerooms; and, now we'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the subject. Please take a few minutes to respond to this survey (corrected link) and thank you in advance for your help.
The 31st Benefit Auction, “A Night in Italy” will be held at the Italian Heritage Center.
I hope you consider joining the committee as we plan for another successful auction -- please use this form to sign-up (corrected link), even if you are unable to attend that first meeting.
College Advising News:
Senior Parents: If your senior applied to college, it's also time to file for financial aid. Be sure to file at fafsa.gov for free.
Filed the FAFSA already? Watch this 3 min video to see what happens next.
All Parents: a summer academic experience could be right for your student. Check out the long list of possibilities!
Parent ads are due by December 16. Download the flyer for sizes and prices.
Educate the Principal:
Survey Results and Town Hall Meeting on 10/25
Many thanks to the almost 70 parents who responded to the "Educate the Principal" survey; here is a sampling of your responses. We invite you to discuss the results of the survey and share your own thoughts at a town hall meeting with Fr. Collins and Dr. Moran on Tuesday, October 25 at 7:00 p.m. in the Sparta Room.
Cheverus Presents Frankenstein
Shows are Friday and Saturday, October 21 & 22, at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, October 23, at 2:00 p.m.
This is a busy week! Here's a reminder of the schedule:
Monday, October 17:
- Mass of the North American Martyrs -- X-Order
- Fr. James Martin Skype Presentation, 7:00 p.m. -- Register here.
Tuesday, October 18:
- Dress-Down Day to benefit Key Club Turkey Drive
Wednesday, October 19:
- Freshmen Retreat -- all-day and overnight
- PSATs/Pre-ACTs for Sophomores & Juniors
- College Visit Day for Seniors
Thursday, October 20:
- Freshmen Community Service Day
Friday, October 21:
- Noon dismissal for Faculty Meeting
- Beginning Monday, October 17, Student Government will sponsor "Sock-tober" to collect of new socks for Preble Street shelter. SGs rep wills drop off a box for donations to each homeroom. Please encourage your students to bring in NEW socks for those in need. The homeroom with the most socks will be treated to donuts. Thank you for your help.
- News from the College Advising Office for Parents of Seniors: Now is the time to file the FAFSA for each college your student where your student intends to apply and to research if the CSS Profile is needed for those colleges. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be found at www.fafsa.gov and the CSS Profile at https://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile.
- Letter from a Cheverus Parent: "With the school year well underway and our children settled into their class routines, I would like to invite each of you to consider joining me in a renewed interest and participation in the Cheverus Family Association. This organization is an important source of support to our students, faculty, staff, administration, and the wider community." Read Barbara Jerome's full letter on the CFA page.
- All parents are invited to the annual "Paying for College" night Monday, October 24, at 6:00 p.m. in Keegan Gym. Learn the difference between colleges that are generous with merit money versus need-based aid. Which ones are right for your family?Contact email@example.com for more info.
- Picture re-take day is Friday, October 28.
- Campus Ministry and the CFA thanks all those volunteers who have already responded to our call for volunteers and donations for the Freshmen Retreat and Community Service Day, October 19 & 20. We have just a few openings still to be filled -- please see the volunteer sign-up sheet if you're interested in helping out or donating.
- Yearbook Reminders: Parent ads are due by December 16. Download the flyer for sizes and prices.
- Our Lady of Hope Parish will celebrate a Mass welcoming Jesuit Alumni/ae, Friends and Family as part of the Northeast US Jesuit Province celebration to welcome all our Ignatian family at St. Pius X Church at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 23. Download the flyer.
We're inviting grandparents -- or a special relative -- to join the Cheverus community for All Saints Day Mass on November 1.
Grandparents and guests will have the opportunity to enjoy light refreshments and cup of tea/coffee before, or after, the Mass.
If students do not have a grandparent able to attend the activities, please invite them to bring a special relative or important senior in their lives.
For more information -- and to register your grandparents -- click here. Interested in helping out that day? View volunteer sign-up sheet.