Seniors & Parents of Seniors who filed for FAFSA, or who intend to file for FAFSA: the recent outage of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will continue to last for “several weeks.” We are told that the IRS and the Department of Education are working to resolve the problem with no set timeline.
Here is what we want you to know:
- Students who have already filed the FAFSA and used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will not be impacted by the outage.
- Student who have NOT yet filed the FAFSA can still complete the FAFSA. Since no timeline for fixing the problem has been provided, students should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible by entering tax information manually from a copy of their tax return. If students do not have access to 2015 tax information, an official transcript can be obtained at IRS.gov. We recommend that students obtain 2015 tax information and complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure they meet upcoming deadlines.
- Students who have already filed the FAFSA, but who have been selected for verification, will not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to verify 2015 tax information. Instead, these students should obtain an official tax transcript from IRS.gov as soon as possible and submit it to their school. Please contact Ms Coddaire for the fastest way to do that.
Cheverus thanks its supporters in the annual report. Download the PDF here.
- Progress Reports Delayed: Due to the number of delays and cancellations recently, our third quarter progress reports will be sent out Thursday (2/16) instead of Tuesday as originally scheduled. Students and parents should be mindful that some of these reports may include fewer assignments than usual due to this unusually high number of schedule changes and missed classes.
- Many thanks to the following parents who offered support in various ways through the Cheverus Families Association to help make Spirit Week/Catholic Schools Week a smashing success:
Cheri Drago, Carolyn Mitchell, Jackie Lindstedt, Linda Early, Annie Bossong, Christine Mullen, Barbara Jerome, Kristen Giancotti, Giulia Fornaro, Lynne Morrison, David Lewis, Jill McCarthy, Susan Flaherty, Corrina Cushing, Maureen Morrone, Lourdes Benito, Julie Walsh, Jennifer Brooks, Karin Geiger, Mary Cahill, Jennifer Fernandez, Patricia Meserve, Nicole Ray, Lynn LaMontagne, Catherine Hyde, Debbie Bellantoni, Toshimi Morin, Beth Hanley, Lourdes Nason, Pamela Elwell, Jane Baker, Marissa Ryan, Angela Galeucia, Audie Harris, Shannon Dube, Jill Laflamme, Lynn Scott, Bethany Wilson, Suzanne Borelli, Stephanie Bourassa, Kristen Giancotti, Robin Lapoint, Vickie Bell, Bethany Cunningham & Christine Ly.
Are you a female student who lives in rural Maine? UMaine College of Engineering sponsors a "Sustainable Energy Leaders of the Future" summer program in late June. Preference given to sophomores. Contact Ms. Coddaire in College Advising for more info. More summer opportunities can be found here.
Senior parents: have you verified that FAFSA reached all your student's colleges? Login to FAFSA and check the SAR (Student Aid Report) to make sure there were no errors which could prevent FAFSA filing.
Junior parents: College Information Night for Parents of Juniors is Monday February 27 at 6:00 p.m. in Keegan Gym.
Mark Your Calendar: Important Dates for 2017-2018
- *Freshmen Orientation: August 23 & 24, 2017
- **Class Meetings: August 30, 2017
- First Day of Classes: August 31, 2017
- Mass of the Holy Spirit: September 14, 2017 at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland
- Back-to-School Night for Parents, 9-12: September 20, 2017
- PSAT/Pre-ACTs/Freshmen Retreat: October 11, 2017
- Freshmen Service Day: October 12, 2017
- All Saints Day/Grandparents Day: November 1, 2017
- Parent/Teacher Conferences: November 20 & 21, 2017
- Thanksgiving Break: November 22-24, 2017
- Christmas Break: December 21, 2017 - January 2, 2018
- Mid-Year Exams: January 16-19, 2018
- Winter Vacation: February 19-23, 2018
- Spring Vacation: April 16-20, 2018
- 100th Anniversary Celebration: May 4-6, 2018
- Graduation: June 4, 2018
- Final Exams, Grades 9-11: June 4-8, 2018
Please note: this is not a complete list of Cheverus events and vacation days for next year. Please consult the Cheverus School calendar for the most up-to-date information. That calendar will be updated as events are planned.
* Freshmen attendance is required
** Student attendance is required.
In Other News:
- Fr. George E. Collins, SJ, announced that he will step down as Cheverus president at the end of this school year to return to pastoral ministry. The Board of Trustees has named Fr. Robert Pecoraro, SJ, as interim president for the 2017-2018 school year. Read the full announcement here.
- Enrollment contracts for students returning for the the 2017-2018 school year are available via ParentsWeb. The online re-enrollment contract -- including the $750 non-refundable holding fee -- should be completed by March 1, 2017. Read the full announcement here.
- Mark your calendars: Cheverus will observe the Bishop's Holiday on Monday, March 13: there will be no school on Monday, March 13. Thank you Bishop Deeley!
- Good Shepherd food drive update: Cheverus is currently in the lead with funds raised by a small margin with Fryeburg Academy a close second. Let's work together to demonstrate our commitment to serving as people for others by helping fight hunger in Maine. Every $1 we raise provides 4 meals for a Maine family in need -- Donate here.
- Still a few spots left for Baby Ads in the Yearbook. First-come, first-served. Contact Ms. Aromando by this Friday, January 27.
Thank you to following community members who pitched in to support the wrestling tournament hosted at Cheverus this past week:
- Julie Walsh,
- Lourdes Benito
- Dennis Caron
- Carolyn Mitchell
- Jackie Lindstedt
- Melissa Haley
- Jena Breece
- Brenda Barriault
- Beth Hanley
- Jim King
- Tammy Thomas
- Jill Laflamme
- Laura Rodrigues
- Emily Powers
- Deb Young
- Cindy McSorley
- Mary Penk
- Ruth Summers
- Kelly Shimansky
- Lourdes Nason
The week ahead:
Monday, January 23
Cheverus Families Association
6:00 p.m., Sparta Room
All parents are welcome to attend and help plan activities for Spirit Week. Re-scheduled from January 19.
Tuesday, January 24
MMEA District 2 Jazz Honors Auditions
2:00 - 8:00 p.m., Loyola Parlor & Magis Center
College Advising News
Summer programs often have winter deadlines! Consider an academic focus for part of your student's summer. Maine Medical Center's Junior Volunteer summer application opens on Jan. 19 and closes just a few days later. Visit this link for more info.
Parents of Juniors: Have you booked your family meeting yet? New dates added, so see what fits your schedule.
All juniors and their parents should have received an email on Wednesday with instructions to register for standardized tests (ACT and SAT).
Key Club Turkey Drive: Cheverus to Feed 500 Families
The Cheverus High School Key Club holds one of the largest and longest running Turkey Drives in New England. Last year, the Key Club and the Cheverus Community provided 500 baskets to needy families in the Greater Portland area.
This year's drive will kick-off on Monday, October 24, with the beginning of canned goods donations by students, faculty and staff. Each homeroom has a target item to collect -- see the list.
Turkey donations will begin on Friday, November 4. Look for Mr. Smith (in full turkey regalia!) as you drop off your frozen turkey before school. If each family and faculty/staff member brings in a turkey, the Key Club will have enough for all 500 baskets.
The Thanksgiving baskets will contain the fixings for a complete holiday meal: turkey, stuffing, bread, milk, potatoes, vegetables and dessert.
If you would like to donate canned goods or frozen turkeys (beginning November 4) to this effort, please drive by Cheverus High School any morning from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. or drop donations off to the Main Office until 3:00 p.m. on any school day. We will be accepting donations until November 17.
For more information about the Turkey Drive please contact:
Karen Connick or Sue Sullivan
Cheverus High School Main Office
(207) 774-6238 ext. 162
- Cheverus will test its Emergency Alert System on Tuesday, October 25. You should receive a test message from the system around noon on Tuesday. Please contact Lisa Merrill to update your contact information to receive emergency alert messages.
- "Sock-tober": Student Government is collecting new socks for Preble Street shelter. Please encourage your students to bring in NEW socks for those in need. Each homeroom has a collection box for the socks. The homeroom with the most socks will be treated to donuts. Thank you for your help.
- News from the College Advising Office for Parents of Seniors: Now is the time to file the FAFSA for each college your student where your student intends to apply and to research if the CSS Profile is needed for those colleges. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can be found at www.fafsa.gov and the CSS Profile at https://student.collegeboard.org/css-financial-aid-profile.
- Yearbook Reminders: Parent ads are due by December 16. Download the flyer for sizes and prices.
The week ahead:
Monday, October 24:
"Paying for College" -- 6:00 p.m., Keegan Gym
Learn the difference between colleges that are generous with merit money versus need-based aid. Which ones are right for your family? Contact Kate Coddaire for more info.
Tuesday, October 25:
Town Hall Meeting with Dr. Moran -- 7:00 p.m., Sparta Room
Discuss the results of the "Educate the Principal" survey (view a sampling of your responses) and share your own thoughts.
Friday, October 28:
1st Quarter Ends
Picture Re-take Day
We're inviting grandparents -- or a special relative -- to join the Cheverus community for All Saints Day Mass on November 1.
Grandparents and guests will have the opportunity to enjoy light refreshments and cup of tea/coffee before, or after, the Mass.
If students do not have a grandparent able to attend the activities, please invite them to bring a special relative or important senior in their lives.
For more information -- and to register your grandparents -- click here. Interested in helping out that day? View volunteer sign-up sheet.