December 11, 2020: Contact tracing complete; Classes will resume on Monday, December 14
December 10, 2020: Positive COVID-19 Case at Cheverus; Campus Closed Friday, December 11
The Maine CDC recommends staying home as the best means of protecting yourself and others from COVID-19. If you choose to travel, please reference the most up-to-date information regarding travel and travel restrictions on the Maine CDC Website. Cheverus follows the Maine CDC guidelines.
If you plan to travel at all during the school year, please fill out our confidential Travel Information Form. All who travel to states other than exempt states, according to the Maine CDC, will be required to submit negative test results from a PCR test prior to returning to on-campus activities, including in-person learning, activities and athletics. Cheverus prefers that those who travel out of state have their PCR tests conducted in Maine, upon their return. Please note community testing sites can take 3-5 days for test results.
Cheverus requires PCR COVID-19 testing (as opposed to the rapid antigen test) for any student who require a COVID-19 test. Regardless of the reason for the testing (travel, close contact, symptoms, etc.), we are relying on this method of testing because, at this time, we believe it delivers the most reliable results. In our response to COVID-19, Cheverus has consistently chosen to follow the safest possible path. We thank you for working with us and supporting us in these efforts.
Portland-area Community Testing Sites:
If you have any questions about COVID-19 testing, please contact our School Nurse Marty Harvey.
Keep Maine Healthy has a complete list of testing sites in the state.
Are you looking for more information about COVID-19?
The Maine CDC has created a comprehensive document that has updated information and answers many frequently asked questions.
• If you are a contact of someone who is a close contact of a COVID-19 case, you are not required to quarantine. Continue to practice everyday prevention measures as you normally would.
What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?
Back to School - 2020
Planning for Fall 2020
Our priority in planning is to return to school with in-person classes; though we won't finalize these plans until the end of the month, everything we are doing right now is planning for every student to be on campus every day. We believe we have the population size and square footage to do this safely. Our Facilities team is investing in PPE and sanitation equipment, and we’re evaluating how to best use our spaces to keep everyone safe while on campus. We are investing in technology to improve our campus’ already strong network capabilities, and our classrooms are being outfitted with Meeting Owl cameras to facilitate hybrid and remote learning. Our teachers are using their experience with remote learning over the past few months and engaging in professional development to make the delivery of our curriculum even more flexible. We know that there is a degree of decision-making regarding school next fall that is beyond our control, but for those parts we can control Cheverus will be prepared.
- Summer Message from Principal Dr. John Moran -- June 23, 2020
- Update regarding Summer Camps at Cheverus from President Fr. Robert Pecoraro, S.J. -- May 24, 2020
- MPA Issues Summer and Fall Guidelines -- May 11, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran - Graduation Update -- May 5, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- April 13, 2020
- Update from President Fr. Robert Pecoraro, S.J. -- April 9, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- April 2, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 25, 2020
- Update from President Fr. Robert Pecoraro, S.J. -- March 20, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 20, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 17, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 16, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 15, 2020
- Update from President Fr. Robert Pecoraro, S.J. -- March 14, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 13, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- 3:30 p.m., March 12, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- 10:00 a.m., March 12, 2020
- Update from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 6, 2020
- Letter to Cheverus Community from Principal Dr. John Moran -- March 2, 2020
Message from Cheverus President Fr. Robert J. Pecoraro, S.J. -- March 27, 2020
Social Distancing - why it is important
What Is Social Distancing And How Can It Slow The Spread of COVID-19? - Johns Hopkins University
Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day - Asaf Bitton, MD, MPH, executive director of Ariadne Labs
Who do students contact if they have technical issues?
We’ve set up a new email: email@example.com. Messages sent here are forwarded to Dr. Nielsen and Ms. Glass. One of them will respond to try to solve the problem.
What if I have not completed my service hours or work grant hours yet?
In coordination with the Treasurer’s Office, Work Grant hours are limited; therefore the "Double your Dollars" program option has been extended to all grades for the 2020-21 School Year. Any questions regarding the work grant program should be directed towards Paisley Keene at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources for managing the stress and anxiety of COVID-19.
Helpful articles and resources
Parenting During COVID-19 - Psychology Today
For those in addiction recovery, social distancing can be a recipe for relapse --Looking for a virtual meeting? List here updated regularly.
The Jesuits in Britain, in coordination with Pray as you go, prepared 7 audio exercises designed to encourage, in God’s presence, prayerful awareness of any feelings of unease or distress.
A Meditation for the Anxious During COVID-19
From Jesuit schools and colleges
Loyola University Maryland Counseling Center - Effects of the Coronavirus on Mental Health
Our Lenten Resource page may offer some ways to bring prayer into your new daily schedule.
March 13 - MPA Board of Directors and Interscholastic Management Committee voted to delay the start of the 2020 Spring sports pre-season practice until April 27, 2020.
Winter Sports Banquet on March 15 - canceled
Spring Sports Information Night on March 16 - canceled
Sportsmanship Summit on March 19 - postponed
New Balance Indoor Nationals on March 13- 15 - canceled
March 16 | Naples Alumni Reception - canceled
All Cheverus Business Network events - canceled until further notice
March 19 | Giving Day - postponed, date TBD
March 28 | Morning of Reflection - postponed, date TBD
April 2 | Magis Awards - postponed, date TBD
April 14 | Boston Alumni Reception - canceled
May 2 | Cheverus Gala - postponed, date TBD